Links

- CHG
- Filousa
- MOAB
- Skye Xyan Revels
- Dirk Awesome
- P.P.C. Roligs
- Nussmier/Koogs
- Lick and Riz
- awesome power
- Dr. Finnegan
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called Africa Trip. Make your own badge here.
Tsjaz in Minneapolis (consumer of popular culture) tries to be of service to others, posting with reasonable regularity, although to be honest, he'd prefer laying on the couch and sleeping to describing the excruciating minutiae of his life to you.
Saturday, February 06, 2010
Super Tuesday
On Tuesday, I did a couple unusual things for me. During the wintry months here, the Metrodome is opened up a couple times a week for runners to run indoors. The laps to mile ratio is a reasonable 2.5:1, which is much better than the South branch Y where we went growing up. What was it there, like 18:1? 25:1? Anyway, although running around a concrete concourse 15 times with lots of pictures reminding you of the heartbreaking loss the Vikings suffered doesn't sound like the most fun activity, there were maybe 200 runners there, and the social aspect was motivating. Not that I said one word to anyone else, but there was a feeling you were among your kind. I did notice that most people ran in pairs or small groups, which would probably make it easier once the novelty of the new venue wears off. I have handball today and a race tomorrow, so I'm not doing a long run this week. Just increasing mileage.
The race tomorrow is a 5k. I don't think I've ever run a 5k. Too short for my sweet spot. I'm running it because I entered in a competitive series to give myself some motivation and fun. I'm also starting a soccer league on Wednesday, finally, after years of intention. They need a goalie. My soccer goalie skills are beyond rusty. I hope I'm not stuck in goal all season. Also, there's no offsides in 7v7.
I went to caucus on Tuesday night. I had some resolutions to maybe present, but I forget them. And a pen. So I thought it would be okay for my first caucus to just watch. I thought of other resolutions after the fact. I did ask to be a district delegate and got elected through the "there are more spots than people who want to do it" method. So maybe I'll get a chance to support some of my resolutions later on. There was an election for presider of the meeting. The same guy who always does it starts off the meeting and asked perfunctorily "is there anyone other than me who has a burning desire to run this meeting?" and this young adult said yes, but I voted for the main guy because I thought it would go faster if someone experienced was in charge. The young dude got elected precinct chair without opposition. Rybak won the straw poll pretty easily, and Kelliher came in second. No one else was really close. I haven't been paying attention, though, and have no idea how to handicap the race.
They scheduled conferences, i.e., a near-14 hour work day, the day after the super bowl. SUPER BOWL. Sue me.
The race tomorrow is a 5k. I don't think I've ever run a 5k. Too short for my sweet spot. I'm running it because I entered in a competitive series to give myself some motivation and fun. I'm also starting a soccer league on Wednesday, finally, after years of intention. They need a goalie. My soccer goalie skills are beyond rusty. I hope I'm not stuck in goal all season. Also, there's no offsides in 7v7.
I went to caucus on Tuesday night. I had some resolutions to maybe present, but I forget them. And a pen. So I thought it would be okay for my first caucus to just watch. I thought of other resolutions after the fact. I did ask to be a district delegate and got elected through the "there are more spots than people who want to do it" method. So maybe I'll get a chance to support some of my resolutions later on. There was an election for presider of the meeting. The same guy who always does it starts off the meeting and asked perfunctorily "is there anyone other than me who has a burning desire to run this meeting?" and this young adult said yes, but I voted for the main guy because I thought it would go faster if someone experienced was in charge. The young dude got elected precinct chair without opposition. Rybak won the straw poll pretty easily, and Kelliher came in second. No one else was really close. I haven't been paying attention, though, and have no idea how to handicap the race.
They scheduled conferences, i.e., a near-14 hour work day, the day after the super bowl. SUPER BOWL. Sue me.
Labels: civic_participation, democracy_or_at_least_a_semblance_thereof, running
Comments:
Post a Comment