<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tsjaz in Minneapolis (consumer of popular culture) tries to be of service to others, posting with reasonable regularity, although to be honest, he'd prefer laying on the couch and sleeping to describing the excruciating minutiae of his life to you.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Grandma's 2010 

The curious thing isn't so much that I've been silent, but that the 8 or so blogs of friends I follow have also simultaneously gone quiet or silent.

It's Grandma's Marathon weekend, and I'm watching World Cup soccer. I like a lot that my summer vacation coincides with matches every morning.

I learned that training properly for a marathon really does make a difference. Twenty years ago, there were a lot fewer marathons and fewer people in those marathons. The conventional wisdom was that although running was a salubrious endeavor, the marathon itself was detrimental to health. It was a test requiring extensive training and not to be repeated too often. With the increasing popularity of ultra races and the Oprah-ization of the marathon, people are focusing more on the participation rather than the time. I heard someone near me at the start saying he'd run 10 times this year.

I did almost all of my long runs, but I didn't build up weekly mileage, which I now believe is probably more important than long runs. So I ran the slowest marathon I've ever run, even slower than my first one. On one level I'm okay with that because you reap what you sow, but then again I wonder what I was doing instead of training. Not blogging.

Labels:

Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com